Three Games for Orchestra and Beach Ball
« An interactive piece with the audience that gets crazy success … the notion of “fun” in the concert hall takes on a whole new meaning here. »
– Ludwig van Montréal, Caroline Rodgers
«Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier has rarely been so joyful and boisterous.»
– Le Journal de Montréal, Christophe Rodriguez
«Audience members at the orchestra-level actually participated and, in a friendly, light-hearted atmosphere, all played together with a giant inflatable ball. »
– Le Devoir, Christophe Huss
« A very interesting musical experience. »
– Gamer Québec, Michaël Bertiaux
« It creates a lot of reaction among the audience. »
– Le Soleil, Josianne Desloges
Three Games for Orchestra and Beach Ball is a series of three small crowd gaming titles conceived of by Maxime Goulet. The three games are Become a Wizard, Catch the Stars and Bomb the Skull.
During the concert, the audience plays the game by moving a ball in response to projections on the screen to collect magic objects, assemble constellations or set off bombs. These crowd games aim to get the members of the audience working together to achieve a common goal.
(The piece was premiered under the title Play with Sound)
– Version for symphonic orchestra: 2+picc.2+eh.2.2 (picc and eh are optional) / 18.104.22.168 / pno-cel / hrp / timp+3 / strings
– Version for wind orchestra: 2fl, 1 picc (optional), 2ob, 1eh (optional), 2bsn, 3cl, 1cl-b / 2sax-a, 1sax-t, 1sax-b / 4hrn, 3trp, 2tbn-t, 1tbn-b, 1eup, 1tuba / hrp, pno and cel / timp / 3perc (arr. Yann Bail)
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes (flexible duration)
Commissioned by the Orchestre métropolitain.
Premiere: September 29th, 2017, by the Orchestre Métropolitain and conductor Dina Gilbert, during the Montreal Video Game Symphony, for the 375th anniversary of the city of Montreal, at the Salle Wilfried-Pelletier, in Montreal, QC, Canada.
Preview of the new version of Three Games for Orchestra and Beach Ball (also available in English)
2019, Apr. 27 | Arthémuse, Joël Arsenault | Maison Symphonique, Montreal, QC, Canada
2019, Apr. 14 | Harmonie de Luzy, Yann Bail | Église de Savigny-Poil-Fol, Luzy, France
2019, Apr. 13 | Harmonie de Luzy, Yann Bail | Salle des fêtes Marcel Joyeux, Luzy, France
2018, Nov. 23 | Orchestre symphonique de Québec, Dina Gilbert | Grand Théâtre de Québec, Quebec, QC, Canada
2018, Nov. 22 | Orchestre symphonique de Québec, Dina Gilbert | Grand Théâtre de Québec, Quebec, QC, Canada