“A welcoming olive branch of music. […] Goulet’s piece embraces Canada in the context of the wider world. […] It’s fascinating to listen for how Goulet strings anthems together, from Peru to the Philippines. […] It’s amazing to see how much musical wealth can be packed into just two and a half minutes.”
– WQXR Classical New York, James Bennett, II
“An amazing two-minute and a half mash-up of 35 national.”
– Classic FM, Lizzie Davis
“A brilliant idea! […] The anthems connects so well. […] A beautiful feat.”
– Global News
United Anthems is a collage (or mosaic) of very short musical excerpts from the national anthems of 35 nations across the globe. The piece celebrates diversity and world peace.
During the performance of the piece, images of each nation’s flag can be projected on a screen above the orchestra. The lowest staff of the score indicates precisely at what moment in the piece each flag should be shown to match the corresponding national anthem excerpt. All the image files of these flags are included as a Power Point file with the material of the piece.
Here is the list of the 35 anthems quoted in the piece : Canada, France, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Germany, Cuba, Japan, Switzerland, Greece, South, Africa, Egypt, Peru, Haiti, Argentina, Iran, Israel, Palestine, Denmark, South Korea, North Korea, Russia, Belgium, Colombia, Australia, Philippines, India, Poland, Nigeria, Mexico, China and Spain.
– Version for symphonic orchestra: 2222 / 4231 / 1 timp / 2 percs / strings
– Version for chamber orchestra: 1111 / 1100 / 1 timp / 1 perc / strings
Duration: 2.5 minutes
Suggested program: United Anthems is often programmed in Canadian celebration’s concerts (e.g. Canada Day) and for Olympic and/or world peace themed concerts.
Commissioned by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the McGill Chamber Orchestra, as one in a series of fanfares, in celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, with financial assistance from the Government of Canada.
Interview with Maxime Goulet about his composition United Anthems
- Nov. 5, 2017 | Oakville Symphony Orchestra, Roberto De Clara | Oakville, ON, Canada
- Nov. 4, 2017 | Oakville Symphony Orchestra, Roberto De Clara | Oakville, ON, Canada
- Apr. 25, 2017 | McGill Chamber Orchestra, Boris Brott | Maison Symphonique, Montreal, QC, Canada
- Jan. 28, 2017 | Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Peter Oundjian | Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Jan. 17, 2017 | McGill Chamber Orchestra, Boris Brott | École Le Plateau Auditorium, Montreal, QC, Canada (premiere)